My Fabulous Friends

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Meat Mix

Here is a "mix" that I put together to use whenever I make anything with ground meat. We use ground turkey in our home but this can be made with ground beef as well (although I higly suggest making a switch to ground turkey :-) This recipe is great because for one, it tastes great, but I can also use it in MANY different types of meals. You can use this to make BURGERS, MEATBALLS, in TACOS, BURRITOS, TACO SOUP, TACO SALAD, SAUCES, CHILI, etc... it's wondeful! The other really great part is that since you are adding veggies and grains to the meat, you can get TWO MEALS out of this 1lb of meat!!!! One night I make burgers with it (8 burgers) and then when I am finished making the burgers I form the rest of the meat into mini meatballs, cook and freeze for another meal at a later time. Or I cook the rest of the meat to use in a sauce or soup (also freeze once cooked and cooled). So many benefits in one little recipe! I love this recipe and hope you do too!!

Meat Mix
1 pound lean ground turkey
1 cup finely chopped spinach
1 large carrot or zucchini finely chopped
½ small onion chopped
¼ cup chopped cilantro
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 cup oat bran
¼ cup flax seed – ground (can be done in a blender)

1 comment:

  1. That sounds so yummy. I prefer to use ground turkey when I am cooking meat in a mix of some sort, like spaghetti. You can't tell a difference. However, when I am making burgers or meatloaf, I prefer ground beef. This sounds like an awesome way to make food stretch too. Ground beef is so expensive and even ground turkey is going up in price too. Great idea Vanessa!!

    ReplyDelete

I want to hear your feedback!